This is our power. Our voice. This is our vote.
It is time to put candidates into office who will fight for Black Lives.
Today, we launch the Washington Black Lives Matter Alliance. The WA BLM Alliance is a collective of people and organizations using our voice, our vote, and our power to fight for the protection and liberation of Black Lives.
You can start taking action with us today. Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County and the Washington Black Lives Matter Alliance reached out to more than 325 candidates running for offices across the state, with six questions:
- If elected, give examples of how your priorities will support the liberation and protection of Black Lives locally and across the state.
- Do you believe racism is a public health crisis? Explain your answer.
- Do you support defunding the police? Explain your answer.
- What is your position on charging officers with bodily harm-related crimes when excessive force is used? Explain your answer.
- How does your racial identity shape your perspective of public policy? Explain your answer.
- Do you support the restoration of voting rights for Washingtonians who are incarcerated or have been previously incarcerated or owe fees and fines? Explain your answer.
We received 27 responses.
Responses are powerful. So is the silence of those who chose not to share their positions.
We are asking you to join us now: View our candidate rankings. Vote for candidates who will fight for Black Lives. Let candidates who didn’t respond know that your vote is for Black Lives, and you’re listening.